.

.

Friday, February 8, 2013

operation dime...or nickel..penny?


so i'm going to try something different this post--i know that my usual posts are keeping up on my life (which is SO interesting and all), but since i'm trying to become more healthy, i wanted to tweak my blog a little bit so it's a little more health-conscious. it also helps that i just became a personal trainer and want to share my passion :) with that being said, here goes..

first of all, i want to debunk this myth that being healthy means that you have to look like a victoria's secret model or like a famine victim. YOU DO NOT. being healthy, in my personal opinion, means a) you like the way you look and b)your body has healthy levels of fat, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. the thing that everyone forgets is that you can have both a) AND b) without doing crash diets, taking "miracle pills", or starving yourself every day. it's all about moderation, people...

so, without further ado, i hereby submit myself as a guinea pig (or maybe a lab rat? since i'm being observed to see results...). i recently started working at the XSI Factory in Lehi as a personal trainer, and as part of my 'employment training', i am being trained (in an exercise sense) by my boss, who happens to be an awesome trainer. now, for a personal revelation: i have always been very insecure about my body--i'm not sure what it stems from, but now you know...even when i was in the best shape of my life (in high school, of course), i still didn't love my body like i should have. that being said, i'm going to document my journey from my current status to the end of my exercise program, and i'm doing so as an attempt to help and support any and all of you who have ever been overwhelmed or discouraged by your current status, whatever that may be. please PLEASE feel free to ask questions, give comments, etc.  *disclaimer: any pictures i post of myself are ONLY for documentation purposes...i'm not trying to be inappropriate or anything like that, it's just a lot easier to show a visual representation of my progress.*

ok, here we go. this is me, right now..
 super buff, i know...my stats at the current moment look something like this:
Weight: 133 pounds
Body Fat % (using a 4-point caliper test): 17%
Lean Muscle Mass: 111 pounds
Body Fat: 22 pounds
Height: 5'7" (unless my mom asks you, then i'm 5'7 1/2'' so i'm taller than her :))
As a side note, the healthy ranges of body fat % for women ages 20-40 are 21-33% (men 20-40 are 8-19%)

now, a couple of things about the goals i have..my weight doesn't fluctuate much..when i'm very trim and fit, i still weigh around 130 pounds. the scale isn't the most important number for anybody to pay attention to...it's how much of that weight is lean muscle mass as opposed to fat tissue. so take a step on the scale with a grain of salt! the same goes for BMI measures. the BMI (Body Mass Index) scale is a rough estimate, but doesn't account for a number of factors, so isn't very accurate. the best thing to go off of is body fat percentage. anyway, back to my goals. like i said, losing weight isn't my main focus--i want to increase my lean muscle mass and decrease my body fat, which will in turn help me tone just about everything. whatever YOUR personal goals are, make sure that they are realistic and attainable. my goal isn't to walk the runway in 2 weeks. but i WOULD like to have my body fat somewhere around 13% by the end of the summer. see? attainable, realistic, and most importantly, healthy.

tomorrow we talk diet and exercise regimens. please comment with any questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment