.

.

Monday, July 16, 2012

home improvement, part one...


  you may be wondering why any college student would take on the task of painting/renovating their apartment during the summer. well, let me explain to you why, because the reason is simple: my apartment looked like THIS (see pictures above^^).
i'm pretty sure it had basically been ignored since 1970, which is both sad and upsetting. i chose to live here mostly out of desperation (i didn't have time to look for other apartments), so i guess it's my fault. it also gave me a reason to unleash my OCD interior design side.  i had always wanted to go into interior design, but sadly, BYU doesn't have the program. i had tolerated the state of my apartment for about a year, when all of a sudden one day i decided to ask my landlord if he would mind if i painted a little bit.  his response, and i quote, "This sounds perfect!  Please just subtract the supplies from your rent and send the receipts.  Keep it conservative so future tenants don’t hate things, but I trust your judgment." which to me read, "go for it". so i went out and bought all the supplies--paint, rollers, etc. but i couldn't bring myself to paint over disgusting, dirty walls.. 
so, true to my M.O., i got home from work one evening and couldn't stand it anymore. cleaning is my stress relief. it started in the bathroom, which was by far the worst part of the apartment.  i tore it apart--almost literally. i'm talking ripping caulk out of the shower, tearing up tiles, etc.  logan came over after he got off, and upon walking in the bathroom, immediately said, "we should paint today too." he's such a good sport, and a total stud for helping my crazy project ADD. so while i painted, he re-caulked everything.  our bathroom went from this:



to THIS:
after the bathroom came the living room...i cleaned EVERYTHING, rearranged the furniture, and then went to work painting.  i had always wanted to do tan with a red accent wall, and my dream finally came true...stay tuned for the unveiling! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment